As iPhone fever grips the country, we thought we’d bring you pictures of the day as the drama unfolds! The iPhone is of course due to go on sale at 6pm tonight (6.02 if we’re being exact, what a clever bit of marketing!) at Apple, O2 and Carphone Warehouse stores.
Go to DialaPhone for great deals on mobile phones
Here’s the chaotic scene at Carphone Warehouse in Wimbledon.
Likewise in Camden
Whereas on Oxford Street, every one of Carphone’s five stores was thronging with people.
Its not just Carphone either, the crowds were battering down the doors of the O2 stores as well.
Ok, sorry to be so sarcastic, but you have to laugh at the incredibly stage-managed hype surrounding the UK launch of the iPhone.
This was the opening couple of lines of report in the Guardian earlier today.
Apple’s much-hyped iPhone is prompting a rush to stores when it finally launches in the UK.
Carphone Warehouse, O2 and Apple are braced for huge queues and a surge of customers when the must-have gadget goes on sale.
Die-hard fans started queuing outside Apple’s flagship store on London’s Regent Street on Thursday morning.
Friends Graham Gilbert and Nik Fletcher huddled under umbrellas equipped with sleeping bags, food and chairs as they began their wait
What a load of rubbish!
Who in the world would queue overnight for something that has been out for six months already, is readily available on the internet to anyone who seriously wants one, and is in absolutely no danger of outselling supply!
I have my doubts about Messers Gilbert and Fletcher, could they perhaps have been persuaded to camp out by an eager PR agency?
I went down to the Apple store to take a look for myself. There’s about fifteen people down there, giving word perfect interviews to reporters and TV cameras. Here they are:
Not quite enough of a baying crowd to fill the other half of the security gate however!
Then literally a minute’s walk away at Carphone Warehouse’s store by Selfridges, there’s not even anyone reading the giant advert in the window.
Those pictures were taken about 3.00 this afternoon, so fair enough, there might be more activity later on. I’m going to take some more pics later on, and put them up tomorrow so we can really see what the furore over the iPhone is like!
Don’t get me wrong, the iPhone is a cool gadget, we’ve had one knocking around ourselves, but don’t believe everything you read in the papers!
Update: Here is the Carphone Warehouse store in Aylesbury at 6pm on Friday, looking a bit lonely.
Whereas in Camden…
And on Oxford Street
- O2 Oxford Street at 5.10pm had 6 people outside.
- CPW Oxford Street at 5.15pm had no people outside.
- CPW Marylebone High Street at 5.40 had 4 people outside.
- CPW Marylebone Road at 5.45pm had 12 people. By the time of opening at 6pm there were about 20. Once opened I think they had about 30 or so inside. Immediately about a dozen queued at the 4 tills to buy without looking round the shop. At 6.15 nobody had yet left the shop with their purchase. Whilst some of the people in the shop looked like serious purchasers, others were young kids wanting to know if you could have it on payg. Spoke to one of the staff and he said they had 100 units in stock, whilst the Oxford Street branches had been allocated 700 each. Shop was stying open till 8pm.
- CPW Marylebone High Street at 6.25pm had 12 to 15 people inside.